A very popular physician service at our Medical Spa is Laser Hair Reduction. Excess and unwanted hair is a common problem for both men and women. Women frequently experience this condition on the face, especially the upper lip, around the eyebrows, in the bikini area, the under arms and even the legs. Men most often are interested in ridding themselves of hair on their back or chest, however, they may have unwanted hair between their eyebrows or on other parts of their face as well. When people search for Laser Hair Removal, they are really looking for Laser Hair Reduction Procedure.
All Laser Hair Reduction Procedures are performed by our Board-Certified Female Doctor in our relaxing medical spa environment.
We offer the Cutera CoolGlide® Laser Hair Reduction system.
Now men and women alike are making unwanted facial and body hair a thing of the past – thanks to the Cutera CoolGlide Laser. No more painful waxing, electrolysis or razors! Approved for permanent hair reduction, the CoolGlide laser can treat men and women of all skin types safely and effectively, year-round. Even patients with a suntan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is authorized to perform a laser hair reduction procedure?
In the state of New Jersey, only physicians are authorized to perform laser hair reduction procedures.
Where are Laser Hair Reduction Procedures performed?
Laser Hair Reduction Procedures are performed in a Doctor’s Office in the state of New Jersey.
Which doctors actually perform the Laser Hair Reduction procedures?
At A Medical Spa, all Laser Hair Reduction Procedures are performed by our Board Certified Physicians Dr. Donna Wilcox and Dr. Demetri Karanzalis.
How do CoolGlide lasers compare with other hair reduction methods?
Shaving, waxing, and depilatory creams are all temporary methods which must be repeated on a frequent basis. CoolGlide lasers offer permanent hair reduction for lasting results.
How do CoolGlide Laser Hair Reduction compare with Electrolysis?
Electrolysis is tedious, invasive, and painful. It involves inserting a needle into each individual hair follicle and delivering an electrical charge, one hair at a time. Electrolysis often requires years of treatments at regular intervals.
By delivering light energy to hundreds of hair follicles at a time, our CoolGlide laser will effectively treat an area in just seconds that would take over an hour with electrolysis.
Why choose CoolGlide lasers over other laser hair reduction systems?
Using the latest technology in laser hair reduction, CoolGlide Laser Systems can rapidly treat large areas without the limitations of older technologies. The CoolGlide systems longer wavelength allows it to be used safely and effectively on patients with light or dark skin as well as tanned skin.
Unlike other systems, CoolGlide lasers can treat the fine hair on a woman’s upper lip just as easily and effectively as the coarse hair on a man’s back. The cooled hand piece increases patient comfort and minimizes the adverse skin reaction commonly seen with other lasers. CoolGlide systems are the best laser hair removal systems on the market for all skin tones, from light to dark, including tanned patients. Their unique design, longer wavelength, and innovative cooling design allow extremely comfortable, effective, safe and permanent results.
What areas can be treated with CoolGlide systems?
The CoolGlide Laser System can remove hair from all parts of the body including the face, legs, arms, underarms, and back. It can also treat sensitive areas like the chest, nipples, and bikini line.
What do CoolGlide laser hair reduction treatments feel like?
As the name implies, the CoolGlide handpiece cools and soothes as it glides along your skin. When the pulse of light is delivered, some patients experience a mild pinching or stinging sensation. No local anesthesia or pain medication is typically required, however some patients may prefer to use a topical anesthetic when sensitive areas are treated.
How many treatments will I need?
Most areas require 3-6 laser hair reduction treatments, but the number of CoolGlide treatments you may require for optimal long-term benefits depends on various factors such as your hairs thickness, the area treated, and your hairs growth cycle. Interestingly, not all hairs are actively growing at the same time but actually go through three distinct phases: growth, regression, and resting.
CoolGlide laser hair reduction systems work by disabling the hair that is principally in the active growth phase at the time of treatment. Since other hairs will enter this active growth phase at different times, additional treatments may be necessary to disable all of the hair follicles in a given are area.
What happens after the treatment?
Immediately following your CoolGlide laser hair reduction treatment, the area may appear a bit red and swollen. Three to seven days after treatment you may experience what seems to be regrowth of hair. Actually, most of these hairs are being shed as a result of your treatment, and are not regrowing. Between treatments you should not wax or tweeze your hair, but it is permissible to shave.
Are there any restrictions on my activity after a laser hair reduction treatment?
Following the laser hair reduction treatment, you can return to your normal activities right away. However, since some redness may occur, you may want to plan your work or social engagements accordingly. The use of sunscreen is recommended on any treated areas exposed to the sun. As always, it is a good idea to limit your sun exposure. In addition, your physician may recommend that you use a specially formulated skin care product line or prescribe a skin care regimen especially formulated for your skin type.
What are the possible side effects of laser hair reduction?
Slight reddening and local swelling of the skin, similar to a sunburn may occur in some patients. These effects typically last for several hours or less. In rare instances, blistering may occur. Dr. Donna Wilcox will discuss the benefits and risks of treatment during your consultation.
Preparation Guidelines for Laser Hair Reduction
1) It is necessary for you to have one to two days hair growth so that the area that require treatment are easily recognizable. If not, it may be difficult to pinpoint all areas needing treatment.
2) For laser hair removal on the face, you should be free of all cosmetics. Your physician will ask you to wash your face in the office before the treatment if you arrive with any cosmetics on.
3) If you are currently using the medication Accutane or Gold Therapy or have in the past 6 months, please let us know. This medication can make your skin more susceptible to damage from the laser.
4) Generally, it is best to wait 4 to 6 weeks between laser hair removal treatments. There is no advantage to scheduling your visits closer together even if you do not see immediate results. The laser only targets hair in the growth phase. The next growth phase will be in 4 to 6 weeks.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER LASER HAIR REDUCTION TREATMENT
1) Avoid bathing or washing with very hot water. Use tepid water. You may feel like you have a mild to moderate sunburn. Minor crusting or minor peeling of the surface layers of the skin is not unusual. Over the counter Hydrocortisone Cream and Aloe Vera Gel may help with redness or inflammation of your skin.
2) Keep the area clean. Wash gently.
3) Avoid direct sun exposure after your treatment. If you do go in the sun, protect the treated area with a sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher.
4) Do not shave the treated area for at least 4 days after treatment. Do not wax, pluck or use depilatories for the hair that grows back. After laser treatment, hair may continue to grow out as if it were never even treated. Typically this will occur for about 2 weeks and then these hairs will simply begin to fall out.
5) Avoid any irritating medications or chemicals, particularly on the face. Examples of these are Retin-A, Benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or astringents.
Clinical Study – Evaluation of a hot-wire hair removal device compared to razor shaving: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23740688